With the warmer months approaching, it’s the prime time for ants to start making more of an appearance around the home. There are few things more frustrating than seeing ant trails popping up everywhere around the house only to reappear in exactly the same place each morning despite your best efforts. Today, let’s take a look at the best ant pest control methods for your house.
Preventing and eradicating ants
There are a number of ways you can prevent and eradicate ants in your home. These include:
- Don’t leave food out – Ants venture into homes in search of food and many houses are smorgasbords with an array of food scraps. Always keep your kitchen bench clear of food and put dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Keep food sealed in your cupboards and vacuum up crumbs.
- Seal off entry ways – Ants are tiny which means they have hundreds of opportunities to enter your house. However, you can make it harder for them by sealing off their favourite entry points. When you get an ant trail, see how they’re getting in and seal up any cracks or gaps with a caulking gun.
- Use ant sand and baits – Ant baits purchased at the hardware store or supermarket can be a good way to keep ants at bay as they take the bait back to the nest. Ant sand is also a good method for outdoor use as you can sprinkle directly onto trails and into ant mounds. Just make sure you keep these DIY treatments away from pets and children.
- Squash the scouts – If you find a lone ant having a snoop around, try to kill it as it’s probably a scout who will bring information back to the nest. If they find a speck of honey on the bench, that can be enough to alert the whole colony.
- Try boiling water on the nest – If you’ve found an ant nest but don’t want to use chemicals, try pouring a kettle of boiling water over the nest as it will hopefully kill the ants. However, remember that it only takes a few survivors to build a new ant nest.
When to call in the professionals
Although there are a number of preventative steps you can take and DIY methods you can try to keep ants away, there are times when you need to call in the experts. If you’re finding you have an infestation of ants, pest control service can quickly and efficiently eradicate the issue. It’s a good idea to create a barrier around your home by getting a professional treatment every six to twelve months to make sure ants aren’t tempted to take over.
At Perth-based Bug Busters, we provide a convenient, one stop shop solution when it comes to pest control services. Whatever the pest, from ants and cockroaches to rodents and birds, our experienced technicians can find a safe and effective solution for your home. Here at Bug Busters, we provide residential pest control from treatment of infestations to preventative maintenance.