We all want a pest free home but with the warmer months approaching, homes across Australia are increasingly finding unwelcome guests in the form of cockroaches, ants, mosquitos and other creepy crawlies. Luckily, there are a few at home pest control remedies that you can try to keep pests at bay. Today, we’ll be taking a look at our top picks for DIY pest control.
Top DIY pest control methods
1. Keeping a clean house – We know, this one is a bit boring but the truth is that a clean house is one of the best ways to deter pests. Pests like ants and cockroaches are drawn to food scraps and the less they have to nibble on, the better. Wipe down benches, vacuum the floors and store food in airtight containers.
2. Chemical sprays – One of the most popular pest control methods are chemical sprays and powders which are readily available at supermarkets and hardware stores. These days, there are stronger preparations such as outdoor surface sprays which can keep pests away. However, be very careful using these chemicals around children and animals and always follow the instructions.
3. Essential oils – Many people swear by essential oils to keep common household pests away. Oils such as citronella, lavender, lemongrass and peppermint are commonly used. Put a few drops in a spray bottle filled with water or soak cotton wool balls with the oil.
4. Boric acid – Sprinkling boric acid around cracks and crevices is a popular home remedy as it is poisonous to pests but less toxic for humans. It’s also great in moist areas like bathrooms and kitchens and is especially effective with wingless insects like silverfish.
5. Plant power – There are a number of plants which are thought to be helpful with reducing pests. Some plants repel pests while others confuse flying insects with their strong smell. Marigolds, lavender, basil, rosemary and sage can all be helpful.
Know when it’s time to call in the experts
Of course, there are times where home remedies just aren’t going to cut it and you need to know when it’s time to call in the experts. While at home pest control can be effective, a pest control service is your best bet during infestations or for regular inspections. Don’t let a little pest issue become a big problem in your house – call a pest control service before things get out of hand.
At Bug Busters, we offer safe and reliable solutions for all of your pest problems to homes across the Perth metro area. We are a one stop shop for pest removal and can treat a range of pests. We use a number of different methods depending on the situation so you can be assured we have the right treatment for your situation. No matter what your pest issue, our experienced technicians have you covered.