Bed bugs are the last thing you want to encounter when you cosy down for a good night’s sleep. These pesky critters can leave unlucky hosts with some pretty itchy bites and pose a serious problem for Perth’s home and hotel owners. Whilst you’ll need to call your Perth pest control experts if you’ve spotted an infestation, the best way to avoid bed bugs is to prevent them from biting in the first place!
Bed Bug habits
Unfortunately for their human hosts, bed bugs are notoriously hard to get rid of. Whilst they can survive low temperatures, the common pests are experts at disguise, and will often hide away in crevices during the day to avoid being seen. Their name is also a bit misleading, as bed bugs aren’t just found in beds; the common critters also hide away in furniture, suitcases, shoes, and even on walls. Although we often associate bed bugs with hotels and hostels, the common pests aren’t just a commercial pest problem. Whilst they commonly set up home in places with a higher guest population (e.g hotels), bed bugs can often make their way into Perth homes thanks to their ‘hitch-hiking’ abilities.
DIY Bed bug prevention
Due to their expert ‘survival tactics’, it’s often difficult to get rid of a bed bug infestation using DIY pest control methods. However, there are certain bed bug prevention steps you can follow to stop the biting bugs invading your Perth home or business in the first place:
- Inspect furniture: If you’re buying or collecting second-hand furniture for your Perth home or business, make sure you inspect your new additions for bed bug infestations before bringing them into your Perth property. Likewise, if you’re travelling around different hotels and hostels, check furniture and bedding for signs of a pest infestation.
- Check your bedding: Like many pests, bed bugs often leave behind a trail. If you spot any specks of blood in your bedding (or bites on your back) this probably means the pests aren’t far away. If you notice the signs of unwelcome bed bugs in your Perth home or business, you should call your local Perth pest control experts to get rid of the pest problem safely and effectively.
- Vacuum your suitcase: Aside from bad sun burn, bed bugs are the last thing you want to bring back from holiday. If you’ve just returned from your travels, make sure you vacuum your suitcase to get rid of any bugs that may have hitched a ride on your clothing or luggage.
- Wash your clothes: If you think you’ve come into contact with bed bugs, make sure you wash your clothes to get rid of the resident pests.
- Organise a pest inspection: Your best bet at preventing a bed bug infestation is to organise regular pest inspections with your Perth pest control experts. Certified pest controllers will be able to check your Perth home or business for potential hitch-hikers and advise you on how to prevent bed bug infestations in the future.
Call in the experts
If your bed bug prevention efforts have fallen short, you may need to call your Perth pest control experts to carry out a professional pest treatment. Bug Busters in Osborne Park provide residential and commercial pest control services to homes and businesses throughout the Perth metro area. Whether it’s rodents, birds or unwelcome insects, we can help keep your property a pest-free zone.
Call Bug Busters today on 08 9493 1313 or fill out an online enquiry form to organise a pest inspection.